We can all agree that human life is valuable and should be protected no matter the cost. Yet as a society, we have drifted far from understanding its inherent value. Oftentimes, proponents of abortion will argue that it is the “woman’s right to choose”. However, if a baby’s life is ultimately the mother’s decision, human value becomes subjective. Before we can even defend the pro-life position, we have to define what life is and why it has value.
Science tells us that life begins at conception. Human development is a continuous process that starts when the zygote forms. As human embryologist, Dr. William Larsen, states, “…We begin our description of the developing human with the formation and differentiation of the male and female sex cells or gametes, which will unite at fertilization to initiate the embryonic development of a new individual.”
Even though science clearly defines personhood, the social definition of life continues to fluctuate within our culture. Either the “fetus” inside the mother is a life or it is not. Abortion should not be a gray-area issue. If life starts at conception, then we must do everything we can to protect it.
If human value isn’t subjective, an objective standard must be followed. We as human beings cannot assign worth; only God can do that. Since we are all made in the image of God, we are His prized possessions whom He so deeply loves. Every single baby has a purpose, even the ones that are so-called “mistakes.”
“Oh yes, you shaped me first inside, then out; you formed me in my mother’s womb… You know every bone in my body; you know exactly how I was made, bit by bit, how I was sculpted from nothing into something. Like an open book, you watched me grow from conception to birth; all the stages of my life were spread out before you, the days of my life all prepared before I’d even lived one day.” Psalm 139:13-16 (MSG)
From these verses, we see that we are designed with deep-rooted intentionality. Each life is both valuable and precious in the eyes of the Creator. Today’s culture tells us that a baby’s life is the mother’s choice, but God says that we are His children bought with a price. If we truly want to protect and empower women, why not empower and protect the women who cannot yet do so for themselves? We must fight to uphold the sanctity of human life.
Will you make your voice heard for those who cannot speak for themselves?
- Religious FreedomAdam W. Schindler2020-04-09T02:20:02+06:00
- Human LifeAdam W. Schindler2020-04-09T02:11:52+06:00
- Biblical Justice and RehabilitationAdam W. Schindler2020-04-09T02:12:42+06:00
- Spiritual AwakeningAdam W. Schindler2020-04-09T02:13:28+06:00
- Israel & WorldAdam W. Schindler2020-04-09T02:14:08+06:00
- Equality and UnityAdam W. Schindler2020-04-09T02:35:28+06:00
- Those in needAdam W. Schindler2020-04-28T23:46:57+06:00
- Biblical, family, marriage & genderAdam W. Schindler2020-04-28T23:46:23+06:00
- StewardshipAdam W. Schindler2020-04-28T23:45:30+06:00
- God’s CreationAdam W. Schindler2020-05-01T14:12:29+06:00