Equipped: The Whole Armor of God
“And my God will meet all your needs according to the riches of his glory in Christ Jesus.” Philippians 4:19
God teaches us to prepare ourselves for spiritual warfare, but what does that mean exactly? The Apostle Paul wrote to the church at Ephesus and gave them practical instructions on living within God’s will. In Chapter 6, he speaks about the whole armor of God. This passage is one of the longest and most important in the Bible. It gives us direction on living a Spirit-filled life. Worldly things can entangle us in sin, but God has given us gifts to shelter us from attacks of the enemy, temptations, and any other obstacles we may encounter.
In his profound letter, Paul makes it clear that God wants to ensure our success. In Ephesians 6:10-13 he says, “A final word: Be strong in the Lord and in his mighty power. Put on all of God’s armor so that you will be able to stand firm against all strategies of the devil. For we are not fighting against flesh-and-blood enemies, but against evil rulers and authorities of the unseen world, against mighty powers in this dark world, and against evil spirits in the heavenly places. Therefore, put on every piece of God’s armor so you will be able to resist the enemy in the time of evil. Then after the battle you will still be standing firm.” The strength of God is more powerful than anything that stands against us. If He is with us, we have nothing to fear.
The whole armor of God is broken down into six elements. It is important to know the different roles of each one, so we can put them into practice in our lives. They are:
• The Belt of Truth – This is truth of God. Trusting what He has told us through Christ and the scriptures, removes worry and anxiousness from our lives. John 17:17 says, “Make them holy by your truth; teach them your word, which is truth.”
• The Breastplate of Righteousness – Paul wrote in Ephesians 6:14, “Stand your ground, putting on the belt of truth and the body armor of God’s righteousness.” Claiming righteousness before God through Jesus, helps us grow in obedience to Him, and lets us honor and obey God’s will.
• Shoes with the Readiness of the Gospel of Peace – Ephesians 6:15 says, “For shoes, put on the peace that comes from the Good News so that you will be fully prepared.” Paul is speaking about the character of the Lord and the peace He represents. Let our lives be filled with God’s peace, keeping our feet anchored in Christ Jesus.
• The Shield of Faith – Faith in God is a defensive tool against the enemy. Asking God to refresh our faith, focuses our hearts and minds on Him and builds a deeper relationship with Him. “In addition to all of these, hold up the shield of faith to stop the fiery arrows of the devil.” (Ephesians 6:16)
• The Helmet of Salvation – Ephesians 6:17 says, “…take the helmet of salvation.” Jesus’s sacrifice saved us from our sins and we can never be separated from God, our Father. Spiritual battles are often fought in our minds. The helmet prevents the enemy from penetrating through the truth of our salvation.
• The Sword of the Spirit – Paul says the sword of the Spirit is the word of God. (Ephesians 6:17) The written word of our Father is the most effective weapon God gave us to use against temptation. Jesus used the word of God against the devil three times in Luke Chapter 4. Reading God’s word daily keeps it fresh on our minds, empowering us to resist attempts of the enemy to knock us off our path.
Father God, thank You for being such a loving and faithful God! According to Isaiah 59, You equipped us for battle with the same armor You used to protect yourself. You have given us all the tools to live within Your will and we ask that You help us to use them in our daily walk with You. We cast all our cares upon You and leave our fears and worries at Your feet. Fill us with Your Holy Spirit and guide us with Your truth. Mold us into the people we were meant to be in Christ Jesus. Give us the courage to stand up for You and speak openly to others about Your goodness to us. We are ready, Lord, for whatever comes before us. Thank You for all You do for us. In the name of Jesus, we pray, Amen.
Sunday, February 26th, 2023
Million Voices is a movement that gives voters and potential voters the foundation they need to confidently act from a biblical worldview.